Family Blog

Favorites

Powered by Blogger.

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Monday, October 1, 2012

Chili's Chicken Enchilada Soup...in the Crock Pot!

Okay I have a few more recipe's I tried this last week that are SO SO delish so I thought I would share. Plus it's easy and most everyone will have the ingredients already in the house which is a plus!) I am super hyped about the fact I am trying new food as of late! WHO knew I could cook? I can at least follow a recipe :) Super easy too! I did tweak a few things from this recipe (such as making it much more full of fat and flavor) haha! So I will let you choose which one you like :) I didn't take a picture of it- but trust me...it was good! Here is the picture from pinterest that enticed me - and the original recipe is HERE. Let me tell you- pinterest and dieting doesn't mix well. Everything that looks good IS good and is NOT good for you. Oh well...here you go :)




2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 medium onions, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 quart chicken stock (I used chicken broth- I added an extra can to make MORE soup since it was for my whole family)
1 tablespoon chicken soup base (I didn't have this- so I skipped it! )
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, to taste
1 (8 oz). can tomato sauce
1 (19 oz.) can enchilada sauce (or two 10 oz. cans)
6 small corn tortillas*, minced (I used more like 10)
16 oz. Velveeta, cubed (I doubled the cheese...ya I'm fat like that)
1 cup co-jack cheese, shredded (I only had the shredded cheese for the top of the soup)
1 22 oz. bag Tyson roasted and diced chicken, thawed (I would cook the chicken up with a pack of taco season before adding it to the soup- made it SO much better!!!!!)
1 can whole kernel corn**, drained
Garnishes: pico de gallo, sour cream, shredded cheese, crunchy tortilla strips

In a skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat, and saute' the onions until they are tender. Add the minced garlic and cook another minute or two, then scrape the onions and garlic into your crock pot. Add all the other ingredients, except the chicken and corn. Cook over high heat for two hours or low for four. Whisk until smooth (you may wish to use a stick blender). Add the chicken pieces and corn and heat through, maybe another 30 minutes to one hour. Check seasonings, and garnish as you like before serving.

*Most of the recipes that I found online called for one or two cups of masa harina to thicken the soup. The store I was shopping in didn't carry that, so I got the brilliant idea to just chop up some corn tortillas and let them dissolve in the soup. it worked perfectly, and gave the soup great flavor...just like chicken enchiladas!

**Chili's chicken enchilada soup doesn't have corn in it, but it's delicious in this, amplifying the corny flavor of the tortillas. You could even go crazy and also add a can or two of black beans. That would be yummy, too.

No comments: